Back to Home

Celestron Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Celestron Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
OK

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bob Sal on April 23, 2002 21:45:27 UTC

I have a 12" LX200 for 2 yrs. Of course it's not the GPS. It's a wonderful scope. Easy to assemble, accurate, great optics, ready to for CCD and anything else you want to do. Haven't seen the Celestron GPS. I have seen the CM1100 from Celestron which is the same OTA on the CI700 mount. The guy had problems collimating it. He had to send it back. They fixed it and he hasn't had problems since, although he dosen't use it that much. The CI700 mount comes apart into about 6 pieces and must be assembeled. This is not what comes with the Nextstar 11. It does come with the Nextstar 14. That one looks more like the LX200 mount which is a snap to assemble. I know 4 people with the 12" LX200, everyone is happy. Don't know anyone with the Nextstar GPS 11". The guy with the CM1100 whishes he bought an LX200 instead. The extra 1" in aperture is (sometimes) noticable from my scope to his. It's up to you, if you have the money, you wont be disappointed with the LX200, I can tell you that. Also the Celestron CM1100 comes with a 1 1/4 focuser. You can't use 2" eyepieces with it. My friend changed the focuser and had major balance problems. Celestron refused to help him. They said it was balanced for the 1 1/4, if you changed it, you fix it. Ha! I wouldn't be happy with that attitude.
That's it;
BOB SAL

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins