Back to Home

Celestron Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Celestron Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re. ISS Tracking

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Brent Boshart on March 14, 2002 22:48:02 UTC

The LX200 can track satellites smoothly via the RS232 interface with Satellite Tracker software. Any of the Meade scopes with Autostar controllers (I or II) can also track smoothly on their own as tracking is part of the firmware.

The Celestron NexStarGPS and Ultima2000 can only 'leap frog' track via the RS232 interface with Satellite Tracker. I have contacted Celestron to look at ways to get smooth tracking but no response yet. The Celestron RS232 simply does not respond fast enough like the LX200. Leap frog tracking is great for visual observing, it will give clearer views than the vibration from continuous tracking. You may also get good results using a web/video cam using leap frog.

If you have not seen ISS with you scope yet, you need to, its awesome. With my 8" SCT I can clearly see the structure and color of the solar panels. You can also see the Space Shuttle when its attached! (Its a white 'blob' but you can see it)

Brent
http://www.heavenscape.com

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins