Back to Home

Celestron Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Celestron Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Changing From CG5 To Fork Mount?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Simon on March 9, 2002 13:03:37 UTC

I half expected your answer and appreciate your comments. The cost probably is prohibitive. I have so much money tied up in my scopes like all of us do. I have tracking motors on my CG5 and your right the sidereal is very important. I didn't think of that. So really that is a stopper right there.

I'll just have to depend on good all star hopping around to the constellations. I'm using Cartes du Ceil from France (it's free) as my major star mapping program. Much better than the expensive programs. I have those and they are junk compared to this program. I couldn't see losing my sidereal.

I have a goto scope as well. It's a Celestron 80GT. Does a fine job for it's size. I use it when I have company and set it up for their use. My mini-star party.

I just don't think goto's are good for beginners. They will never learn the constellations and stars starting out on a goto. The refractors do not have the contrast and FOV the G8 does with the focal flatner F/6.3. Unless you have a Televue.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins