Back to Home

Celestron Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Celestron Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
OK

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bob Sal on February 28, 2002 20:11:19 UTC

I'm no expert on collimating an SCT, but it does sound like yours is out. I've seen a few that needed collimating. When focused, as best it could, the stars looked like small comets. They never focused to points. When out of fucus the circle was off center and had a dim fan shape next to it. We had a very good lecture on Collimating at a club meeting once. We had a speaker who knew his collimation. Much of the stuff I've described looked like the examples he gave. Don't know if your pie with a piece missing is one of them. Is it kind of a fan shape? Anyway, the guy said not to be afraid to touch the collimation screws. Just don't turn them too much. 2 to 3 full turns and the secondary mirror can fall off into the tube. 1/4 turn should be a very dramatic difference.
Also, I know a guy with the 9.25 Celestron. He said the same thing, the mount is very shaky. The scope is undermounted. Higher magnification will only make it worse. Don't know how you can fix that except get a bigger mount. That's how they keep the price down. They sell you the big scope on too small a mount.
That's it;
BOB SAL

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins