Back to Home

Celestron Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Celestron Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Setting Circles

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bob Sal on February 18, 2002 15:54:59 UTC

If you got the scope polar aligned and it's tracking that's great. Your Lat/Long have nothing to do with the sky. The seting circles are a way to get you close to the object your looking for. I don't know anyone who really uses them. They are not that accurate, more just for show. Most people just star hop. You find the item on the charts, locate the stars close by and hop from star to star till your close enough to find the object. You can use the setting circles by setting them to zero when first polar aligned and turning them to the proper Ra/Dec. But that will only you close because again their not real accurate. You can do it better and faster star hopping. Also you can use the off set method. Point at a know object and turn the the difference in Ra/Dec you need to get to another item. Again, I've been doing this for years, never actually saw anyone doing that. You can get really frustrated real easy looking for an easy target. I tried it once or twice, waste of time. Star hopping, that's the way to do it. Most of the objects you'll be looking for with the 5" are bright and easy to find. Dimmer items will be a challange. But that's art of the fun.
Filters, A blue filter is supposed to bring out the details on Jupiter. I tried it, thought it looked better without the filters. You can try it, Orion sells a set of 4 color filters at a good price. I think its really more for photography.
That's it;
BOB SAL

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins