Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Quantum Foam

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Astrophysicist on August 6, 1998 17:24:10 UTC

Let's say you have an electron. A common everyday particle. Now, let's say you compress it. This actually changing the electron and forming new particles with it. Each individual partical is classified by its size, mass, and energy. Thus, by changing one or more qualities, you are changing the actual particle. But, for the sake of argument, let's say that you found a way to compress this electron to the size stated above. I haven't done the equations, but i know that any amount of mass, if compressed into a small enough area, will create a singularity. By the way, the Planck-Wheeler length you mentioned above is merely the thresh hold at which everything you delve into he realm of quantum foam. I'm pretty sure that even a single particle will collapse to form a singularity before crossing that threshold. It's merely for observational purposes that we give a measurement to this minimum length. By the way, I'd be interested to find out where you learned about the length. I've only read about it in a couple places, and believe me, I've looked for references to it.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins