Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Absolute Speed Of Light?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Schnee/">Schnee on June 29, 1998 09:22:48 UTC

: I have struggled a little with the idea of : infinite density, this appears to be what you're : telling me. No surface area?

: I have heard quoted the fact that if the earth : were a Black Hole, it would be about 3cm in : diameter. I understand the earth cannot become : a Black Hole, but what did that quote mean? : Were they speaking of the size of the event : horizon the earth would have if it were : collapsed?

: -Adam

---------------------------------

Ok, here is how I understand the infinate density thing. First of all, lets say that space is infinate. Now, as something that contains mass accelerates, it gains mass because it can be in a greater area at one point, it's kinda hard to understand but makes sense, like a person standing still looking at a baseball flying by at 80000 miles per hour would see an elongated baseball. Now, if you are going at the speed at which time would stop, you could be everywhere in the entire universe at that very instant in time, giving you infinate mass. It would be like you encompassing every point in the universe at that given time, therefore giving you infinate mass at that point in time. About that quote thing, it's just telling you how dense something has to become to be a black hole (how much stuff has to be crammed into a little space), and it's wrong, if the earth were to become a black hole (which it can't) it would be a single point of no distance.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins