Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
That Is Correct Sir

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Schnee/">Schnee on June 29, 1998 09:11:09 UTC

: "Allong with some really freiked up quantum physics stuff....."

: You watch it! I like quantum mechanics! Although you're right. It is really wierd. Yeah, relativity only breaks down at the singularity. Up until that point, it's still relevant, though it becomes sort of weak as soon as it hits that event horizon. And you're right- light doesn't to our knowledge bounce off an event horizon. At the horizon itself, light is curved back until it's heading into the black hole again. And just outside of the event horizon- I'm talking like you could reach your hand through it if you were actually there (hypothetical. I'd hope nobody here would try to put their hand through an event horizon!) light seems to stop, but that's because time is slowed by the gravitational fields produced by the black hole. The light doesn't slow at all- time does.

I wasn't trying to make fun of quantum mechanics, I enjoy the subject myself, just that it's a kinda brain twister. What scientific field DOESN'T break down in a singularity?? I thought relativity would hold up there....let me rephrase that, what field makes a singularity possible?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins