Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: I Would Like To Know How Can Time Traveling Be Possible? Can Someone Just Give Me A Simple Explaination?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Adam/">Adam on June 10, 1998 22:27:55 UTC

: what is a blackhole anyway? _________________________________________________

There have been a few suggestions as to how time travel would be possible. None are concrete, but here are a few.

It has been suggested that an advanced society might have the technology to open a wormhole between not only distances, but points in time. You might be able to travel back and see your grandmother as a teenager, or other such wonders.

If you were to make an infinitly long, incredibly fast spinning pipe, that might be a way to travel through time.

One of the things that trouble physicts about travel into the past, is that what if during that travel, you did something to prevent yourself from going back and preventing yourself from going back. You want a headache, think about it a while.

I will give you two examples of this paradox (french for "I need asprin"). The first is the Matricide Paradox. What if you opened a wormhole, and traveled back in time and killed your granmother, thereby preventing yourself from being born and going back and killing your grandmother.

Some in the field of theoretical physics today wish to avoid the question of free will, Kip Thorne and company noteably (wimps). The Matricide Paradox requires that you have the choice to go back and kill your grandmother thereby preventing yourself from... blah, blah.

So I offer an alternative (found in Black Holes and Time Warps, Autor, Kip Thorne) that was mailed to Mr. Thorne convincing him to look into time travel paradoxes. What if a cue ball rolls into a wormhole that takes it through to another wormhole, several oh, seconds into the past, where it leaves the whole and its trajectory is such that it hits its earlier self and prevents itself from entering the wormhole and going back and hitting itself.

Did I mention I'm a Tylenol salesman?

Consider these, read Kip's cool book, live long and prosper, may the road rise to meet you. And despite all that science has poured into getting GUTs (General Unified Theories), we know that God indeed not only knows it already, but in fact made it. To lose sight of this would be a shame. -Adam _________________________________________________

• Quality Web Hosting

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins