Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Distant Galaxy Red Shift Caused By Time Passage Variation.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Duane Eddy on November 26, 2004 22:26:16 UTC

If I were falling toward a neutron star or a black hole, a distant galaxy would seem to be accelerating toward me?

As I fall I would be in an ever increasing gravitational field.
As the gravitational field around me increased, my clock would slow and I would slow with it.

By my clock the light from a distant galaxy would be measured as taking fewer and fewer time units to reach me.

I would interpret this decreasing light travel time as a decreasing distance and say the distant galaxy is accelerating toward me.

I would see a blue light shift.

Now lets say that I was leaving a neutron star or a black hole vicinity.

My clock and time progression would be increasing.

By my clock the light from a distant galaxy would be measured as taken larger and lager amounts of time units to reach me.

I would interpret this increasing light travel time as an increasing distance and say the distant galaxy is accelerating away from me.

I would see a red light shift.

In this way the red shift we observe may be due to a minute time dilation and not indicate a distance change at all.

A very small time correction due to a small gravitational change may result in a large calculated distance error.

The gravitational field change can be explained by an elliptical orbit by our solar system about the galaxy center.
We would be in the portion of the orbit during an increasing orbit radius.
This would cause a decreasing gravitational field.
An increasing time passage.
And apparent receding distant galaxies with a red shift.

Duane

Duane

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins