Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Lord Of The Ring

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Abhijit Brijlal Patil on April 29, 2002 21:46:34 UTC

Lord of The Ring (Fellowship of The Ring):

Now consider a two uniform circular rings of the size of coins connected to each other by very thin spoke. These rings are rotating in uniform circular motion around centre point of spoke in space with linear velocity one centimeter per second. And the direction of spin of this ring-spoke system is perpendicular to that of gravitational field of earth. But at the same time, this entire ring-spoke system is rotating around earth in space with velocity 8000 meter per second which is orbital velocity of satellite.

If we disconnect these rings from spoke, then as any body in uniform circular motion do have absolute velocity, these rings will move in space in the direction and opposite the direction of motion of ring-spoke system with linear velocity of just one centimeter per second i.e. 0.01 m/s. NOT 8000 m/s.

Then now question arise, when the ring-spoke system was moving in space with velocity 8000 m/s and if the mass of ring-spoke system is m, then it had kinetic energy (1/2)*m*v^2 where v = 8000 m/s. But when these rings are set free from spoke, they are moving in tangential direction in space with just 1 centimeter per second i.e. 0.01 m/s and not 8000 m/s. Obviously KE of these freely moving rings along straight line is negligible compared to what it had in ring-spoke system. Question is where this tremendous KE of ring-spoke system is gone?

That is exactly what Author has mentioned in PART I. This KE of ring-spoke system is accumulated in the form of PE around these rings. And this PE has direction perpendicular to that of gravity. Hence these rings has potential energy to counter gravity of earth. These rings will rotate around earth with speed just one centimeter per second but will not "fall" or move towards earth. If the direction of PE around these rings is opposite to that of gravity of earth, the ring will just remain where it is and at the same time rotate with earth. Observer on planet will see the ring above the surface of earth (neglecting atmposphere of earth), say just one meter above surface of earth. And yes, he can handle this ring. He can move the position of ring in space. He can play with the ring. But the ring will not fall on earth.

I request NASA to communicate with Astronauts in International Space Station to do spacewalk and carry out this experiment.

http://www.geocities.com/discoverynews

Abhi.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins