Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Hmmm Perhaps Gravastars.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Morgan Storey on February 14, 2002 09:10:36 UTC

Read an article in last months new scientist, a new theory is emerging in competition to Blackholes, called gravastars, the reason this theory has come about was because some people found a (pardon the pun) hole in the theory of blackholes.
Such holes I didn't have a chance to read through but these seem to be some good ones...because if light cannot escape a blackhole then the escape velocity would have to be actually faster than the speed of light, and falling towards the singularity your particles would reach tremendous speeds (I don't know what speeds you would acclerate too, but I would say they would be greater than the speed of light).
Also why does a singularity have to have infinite density with no volume, doesn't this seem absurd to others? With my incomprehensible and rough calculations you only need something with say the radius of a grapefruit and the mass of 180,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000kg
This would mean the escape velocity would be greater that 300,000km/sec meaning light would not be able to escape.
But I guess it is a moot point as if it were this massive and such a great escape velocity then terminal velocity would be so great that atoms falling to the surface would break the universal speed limit of 300,000km/s.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins