Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Tihnk...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael Wright on December 11, 2001 20:18:45 UTC

... that if something falls off of a satellite it would have to have been from a release of bonds (tether, screws, bolts, etc.) or from a collision. Either way, some force has to act upon the satellite and the piece, giving them a difference in velocity. Even if this difference is tiny, over a great distance (such as the circumference of the orbit around the earth) this will magnify, and the two pices will have completely different orbits.

Now, if that little piece happened to drop to a lower orbit (or climb to a higher one which would probably be more likely given the equations for orbiting objects) then it could bump into another satellite at a small relative velocity, or it could hit a satellite going the opposite direction at a high relative velocity. Remember that satellites generally orbit the earth rather quickly and thus they are moving at high speeds. This gives a lot of momentum and if two objects on even slightly different trajectories collide, a lot of force could be involved.

Even if the collision itself did not seriously damage the satellite, its orbit could be skewed.

I hope I answered your question, if not then can you elaborate?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins