Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: To:gwyni, Docyordick And Yanniru

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on January 29, 2001 00:15:43 UTC

OK. I think I see your complaint. You asked some questions about the Big Bang, and I used the thread to question Doctordick.

It seems that your primary question that science can actually answer at this point in time is whether the big bang created space, or just filled empty space.

Well, the whole idea of the big bang comes from the theory of relativity and the fact that the universe is expanding. Given the current rate of expansion and the acceleration of that rate, and some guess as to the actual size of the present universe, we can put these numbers in as initial conditions and run time backwards. What we see is that all space contracts. The actual amount of space shrinks down to zero at some point in time long ago.

That is what the theory of relativity says. An assumption in the theory is that mass is uniformly distributed throughout all space. At some point in backwards time, this assumption will become even more approximate than it is today as the uniform mass will turn into a black hole.

So it is assumed that what actually happens is that the very early universe was massless. That is the initial condition of inflation theory. But that kernal which inflated billions of times in an instant ofasecond can only be guessed about. String theory is supposed to tell us what happened in the big bang.

So far the best solution I have seen from the Italian string school, is that the big bang did not really happen. The universe just started from a small size and got bigger. But nobody knows anything for sure in that regime.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins