Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: Re: Re: Light Speed Experiment

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on January 24, 2001 22:01:35 UTC

Bent by retardation??? I don't get a good picture there! I think I know what you are trying to say but I think it would be more easily seen that, in this case, we are not talking about anything actually moving, we are talking about the change in path. Picture a water sprinkler which rotates; each drop proceeds on a different path. If you wish to follow the points struck by the water drops, the velocity of the hypothetical path can exceed the velocity of the water by orders of magnitude.

There are cases of light reflection from novas which yield apparent motion faster than light but that's just due to the different paths followed by the photons.

You can not exceed the speed of light. That can be proved!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins