Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Re: I Have Always Heard That Matter Can Neither Be Created Nor Destroyed

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kerry Millen on September 29, 2000 10:56:42 UTC

Interestingly, your query contains repercussions of Zeno`s paradox. Zeno, and others of his faith, concluded that nothing was in motion (hard core philosophers, forgive me for skipping by many of the details) because if an object was moving, it would eventually reach its destination. But, if the destination is approached by halving the distance to it each time, the destination is but a pipe dream. This same idea can be applied in fractal systems. Mathematically, it is possible for an eight by eleven sheet of paper (any size for that matter) to contain a two dimensional object with an infinite perimeter. Combining these two ideas, one could that the east coast has an infinite length. Here`s why. Flying in an airplane from Maine to Florida along the coast will give an estimate of its length. Driving from Maine to Florida (as close to the coast as possible) will yield a much different result. Now suppose you walk the coast (okay, I`m getting more and more hypothetical as I go) ten feet from the water. Again, a much different and larger value for the length of the east coast. Finally, imagine moving closer and closer to the water line by half the distance--the east coast becomes infinite in length. One man argued that this reasoning was flawed because I would enter the water. It wasn`t until I explained to him I wasn`t trying to enter the water. I don`t want to enter the water. If I wanted to enter the water, I would simply take one side step in the appropriate direction and be done with it. Then the understanding came. Sorry if I side stepped your question--these things interest me.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins