Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Light And Gravity

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Pranov/">Pranov on March 2, 2000 07:19:58 UTC

: : : : One week ago, Pranov said:"There will be a redshift due : : to the gravitational field, but the photon cannot lose : : speed as it travels with the speed of light.

: That's only true in special relativity. In general relativity that's only true when measured locally i.e. when the light is close to the clock which is timing it.

: First of all, I will say that I'm not an expert on this field, and my knowledge of general relativity is limited, though I know special relativity. According to that theory velocity of light is constant, and should therefore be able to escape.

I was given an answer to my question, which stated that an external observer would not see anything escape, because of timedilation in the gravitational field, and that explanation, although a bit abstract from a physical point of view, is correct in general relativity. But i still can't imagine how the situation will be from the photons (or particle with sufficiently high energy) point of view, as it travels through the event horizon and back during a (measured by the photon) finite time.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins