Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Misunderstanding, This One Is Phrased Right

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Zephram Cochrane/">Zephram Cochrane on February 16, 2000 07:30:24 UTC

: I think we have reached a miscommunication between our answers and responses.

: I completely understand special relativity, I know that the rate at which time elapses for an object is dependent on its relative velocity.

: When I asked the question "Do two objects, between which is a given distance, exist in the same moment of time." I did not mean "Do two objects, between which is a given distance, experience the elapsation of time at the same rate."

ZC: I am not talking about time dilation at all. I'm referring to relativity of simulteneity.

: If you would like another stab at answering what I'm trying to express, I'll try to rephrase it one more time.

: "Do two objects, separated by a distance, "ever" exist simultaneously?"

: If you can, please provide proof in your answer.

ZC: I am saying if two objects exist at the same time according to one observers coordinate frame, they don't necessarily exist at the same time according to every other observer's coordinate frame. I've been trying to say that there is some truth to your point. There is no absolute simultaneity.

• http://www.delphi.com/sciandpara

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins