Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Prove Your Theory Rather Than Einsteins - Long Reply, I'm Sorry.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by yelmalio/">yelmalio on January 22, 2000 21:55:36 UTC

Why does everybody over on this site point to some theory or another illustrated by some other author. How does that help . its a theory developed by another human being if a person believes in E=mc2 then he will never develop his own theory.

But if E=Mc^2 is correct then any other theory is, perforce, wrong. The evidence that Einstein is right is almost irrefutable to the point that it is a Law of Physics, even Wayne partially agreed with that I noticed.

As Zephram explains the point of referring to other authors is that they have presented ideas that have been experimentally validated, why rehack old ground. Any one trying to present a new theory conradicting an accepted one has to explain all previous evidence and provide new testable observations. In other words, it has to be good.

You are entitled to have your own idea but don't expect people to take you seriously if some one else has already answered that problem.

best solution is to prove own theories and make yourself understood . then pointing on to some authors point of view.

But how do you prove your point of view? You have to do experiments, some of them will be very expensive so its best to convince some one else to pay for them, the Gummint for example. They are hardly going to listen to everyone who stands up and says I need millions to proove I have a better idea than Einstein, Gamow, Planck, Shroedinger, Newton, Guth, Gell-Mann, Feynman et al. Oddly enough, all the aforementioned names became famous by having their own ideas which where subsequently valideated. They had to compete against many others with opposing theories and views.

WHATS REQUIRED HERE IS YOUR POINT OF VIEW AND NOBODY ELSE. But where would that get us? What matters is not the theory but the proof your theory is correct.

(Anecdote alert). Lets say I had a theory that gravity was due to orgone energy and you had a theory it was due to curved spacetime. Without evidence (experiment) we would argue forever. With evidence it would be shown you are correct and I am wrong. Others would then take notice of your theory and try and prove other aspects of it, even if they seem outrageous.

THIS SPECIFICALLY FOR MATHMANS,ZEPHRANE COCHRANE,YELMALIOS,ZEONS Etc

I think you'll find we are more open minded and ready to listen to new ideas than supposed. For one I am a skeptic. My initial thought is to discount things until adequate proof is given. That is why I place my trust in Physics, I have seen the proof (or even performed the test myself) and am happy with the accepted answer. It is accepted that other Physicists and scientists have the same basic attitude.

Some current theories (E.G. inflationary big bang) are known to have problems with them. I for one find it funny that no one around here has studied the field enough to know what those problems are and question it. I'm pretty sure Zephram, Mathman and Zeon know this as well but don't bother elaborating on the detail, it confuses people too much.

Yelmalio - you can exceed light speed in vacuo but not in our local [1] frame of reference.

[1] It's long been known that jets from some Quasars exceed c, it's an optical illusion caused by Relativity.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins