Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What Is Science?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Herb S. on January 21, 2000 05:15:53 UTC

: TJ: WHATS REQUIRED HERE IS YOUR POINT OF VIEW AND NOBODY ELSE. : : THIS SPECIFICALLY FOR MATHMANS,ZEPHRANE COCHRANE,YELMALIOS,ZEONS Etc : :

: Wayne: TJ, I can understand your position, but a theory is by definition unproven. That is why its called a theory. E=mc2 for example could be described as a LAW rather than a theory. We have the nuclear devices that pretty much prove it. I have VERY strong differences of opinion with some of the people you list, but I can not prove my theory any more than they can. Relativity is a theory, but certain parts of it are very strong. That is why it has held up so well to so much experiment and math. Black holes are a prediction that springs from the CURRENT UNDERSTANDING of the theory. Zephrem and many others think warping spacetime will prove true and confirm the existance of singularities. I believe they are wrong and that space and light should be considered mathematically one and the same. This, along with a quantum theory for gravity will spell the end of one theory or the other. But that's just my theory. Keep searching for the TRUTH. My view of science is that it is an attempt to describe reality as best it can. It consists of theories which can lead to measurements, which can validate or invalidate (within experimental error) the theorectical descriptions. The ether theory went, because Michelson-Morley invalidated it. General relativity was validated by Eddington's 1919 solar eclipse observations. QED has been validated by measurements with agreement to more than ten decimal places. The big bang was validated by the microwave background observation. One could go on and on. Theories which cannot be tested by measurement are meaningless.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins