Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Center Of Momentum Of The Universe...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Zephram Cochrane/">Zephram Cochrane on January 14, 2000 05:27:33 UTC

: In relativity it is said that all inertial frames of reference have an equal amount of valdity in the universe. Simply put, any moving unaccelerated frame of reference is as good as any other to take measurements and observe the laws of physics. A long time ago, scientists wonderred who could realy be said to be at rest. Somewhere in the universe there had to be an object that was at absolute rest. We could then use this as a bench mark to tell how fast we move through space, ofcourse relative to this object. Einstein did away with this notion. : But momentum of a system is always conserved. Doesn't this mean that the center of momentum of the universe is universly at rest? If I existed at this point, couldn't I say that I am at complete rest in the universe, and I have the most valid reference point from which everything else moves away?

Even if such a center of momentum frame of the universe could be found, it would not constitute an absolute frame because the laws of physics take the same equation form for any other inertial frame.

• http://hometown.aol.com//zephcochrane/WarpDrives.html

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins