Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Light Speed

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by mathman/">mathman on December 1, 1999 05:12:02 UTC

: : : : : : If something was traveling towards you at very nearly the speed of light, would you be able to see it?

: : : my guess is that you would only be able to see it (if your eyes could pick it up in that amount of time) for and : : : extremely short amount of time right before it hit you, but you would be able to see the whole path that it had : : : traveled, the light would have reflected off of it from when it was say 1 lightyear away, and it would slowely : : : pull away from the object, getting farther and farther away from it, and then by the time it got to you, it would : : : only be a bit ahead of the object instead of a lightyear away from it... or something like that?

: : : does anyone understand what i'm trying to say, and am i right? : : The answer to the first question is yes (you would be able to see it). The rest of your note is very confusing.

: : What I was trying to say is, say it was traveling towards you for a year at very near light speeds, you wouldn't : be able to see it for the whole year it was traveling, but only right before it ran into you... BUT it would look as : if it was traveling much faster than it really was, but you would see it's whole year worth of traveling... I assume the light is turned on just as the object starts moving and it gets to almost the speed of light fairly quickly. You would see it at its start point a year later and continue to see it until it hits you. Also the light would be greatly blue-shifted.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins