Notice: session_start(): ps_files_cleanup_dir: opendir(/var/lib/php5) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/astro/websites/astronomynet/htdocs/sitewide.php on line 4 Re: Black Hole Sun - an Astronomy Net Blackholes2 Forum Message
Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Black Hole Sun

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by dzul/">dzul on November 23, 1999 03:03:17 UTC

: A friend recently asked me, "What would happen to the Earth if then Sun became a black hole with the same mass as the Sun?" We both agreed that this could not happen to the Sun but he insisted I answer his question. I was not able to. I know that the gravitational force on the Earth would stay the same, but would the lack of the sun cause the Earth's atmosphere to freeze and core to solidify? And if they did, would the the Earth stop rotating and continue its elipsis around the black hole with only the heaviest side facing the black hole? Would the Earth's lack of rotation cause its revolution around the black hole to slowly degrade causing it to eventually fall into the black hole?

: If anyone can answer any of my questions I would be appreciative.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins