Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Yelmalio

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by yelmalio/">yelmalio on November 19, 1999 11:28:45 UTC

Wayne: Yel, don't you think that tiny error within our FOR could turn out to be more pronounced then we assume?

Problem is, there is not an easy way of knowing if it is. As I said, Relativity is a local theory designed to aid translating how different observors see things. No one assumes that Relativity is an absolute description of how the Universe works. All theories need adjusting and fine tuning as more evidence is found. Breakthroughs occur when something is found that starkly contradits a known theory. If some one discovers something that contradicts relativity then it will be looked at. Until then all we have to go on is what we know, now.

All I know is that Relativity has been thoroughly tested and many astronomical observations show objects that appear to behave as Relativity predicts. The basic precepts of Relativity (and Frames of Reference) appear to work quite well. Obviously, what happens inside the event horizon of a black hole is beyond the ability of relativity to describe. Any new theory that can do this and make observable, testable predictions will be the next breakthrough.

At the moment there are many competing ideas with several camps backing different ideas. String theory was dumped due to early problems with it. Mbrane theory fixed the problems and it is now in vogue again. Yet people like Kip Thorne and Machio Kaku are pursuing other alternative ideas using higher dimensional spaces. one is right is any ones guess.

My take is that the real, known problems with existing theories and facts are a lot more bizarre than most people realise. Some of the proposed solutions are vastly more mind bending than you realise. This is why I am interested in this subject.

Yelmalio - keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins