Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Does Velocity Play A Factor?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by And also From Me on November 16, 1999 03:54:25 UTC

re -Riemann tensor not curvature tensor. - The curvature tensor is just another name for the Riemann tensor. Sometimes it's even called the Riemann curvature tensor

re - There is no such tensor so it implies no such thing. - Sure there is. The components of the tidal force tensor are a subset of the components of the curvature tensor. Your can look it up in either MTW or Ohanian.

re - Not under a short enough proper time ... - What's your point? The question was whether velocity affects tidal force - not whether or how tidal effect can be ignored. That's a separate issue. It is the difference between "does distort" and "will distort."

re - again you misunderstand local. - Nope. Don't put words into my mouth. There is a well established criteria in MTW for determining when a region of spacetime can be called locally flat. Loosely speaking - If, within a given amount of time and given a specified precision, no relative acceleration of test objects is detected then that region of spacetime is referred to as "locally flat." The questioner asked about tidal forces. You addressed local aspects, not I.

re - SO what? - What kind of question is this?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins