Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Einstein's Math & Space-time

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Wayne/">Wayne on November 15, 1999 03:16:54 UTC

Einstein's equations indicate that space and time are one in the same. (David Filkin, Stephen Hawking's Universe page 80) I believe the math involved in Einstein's conclusion is, every so slightly, off the reality mark for the following reasons: Filkin uses the example of a cup on a moving train being viewed by two observers. One on the train with the cup, and one on the station platform watching the cup through the window as it passes by. Relativity, the relative position of the two observers to the moving cup, is explained this way: "One is traveling through TIME and SPACE along side the cup, so that its relative position is always 60 centimeters in front of him; it stays in his field of vision as long as they are both traveling through time and space in an identical fashion. The other observer is, by comparison, STATIONARY in TIME and SPACE relative to the moving cup, so that it comes into and moves out of his field of vision in a very short time." Equations formulated by Einstein to describe this relationship indicated that "time and space were mathematically one and the same." So what do I think is wrong with the math? Mainly that, nothing stands still. Not even the man who is standing still. To test this, foolish, position of mine I do the following: Take two photographs of the observers and the cup in question as they pass each other. Two frozen moments in time. The amount of time you let pass between taking the two photographs does not matter. Our resulting pictures will reveal that there is an increase in the, earth surface, space between the two observers. Our platform observer may be standing in the same spot, but in the span of time between the photos his eyes have tracked (following) the cup. His muscles have moved accordingly. His heart and lungs have moved oxygen and blood through his system, and the earth has moved him as well as the other observer (and the cup) through a span of space that is (RELATIVE to the sun) the same. Each observer has experienced all the internal chemical activity that results in "getting older" at the same rate. The difference in the change in distance of the two observers relative to the sun, but caused by the train, would be very difficult to measure. It is that difference, however, that in my mind requires that we seperate SPACE from TIME. They are not one in the same.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins