Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Mass Energy

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Zephram Cochrane/">Zephram Cochrane on November 8, 1999 03:31:28 UTC

: But if E2 = m2c4 +p2 c2 : and the initial momentum, of say a fission weapon, is zero then the final : momentum must also be zero. Which seems to say that m = (E2/c4)1/2 : and therefore energy has mass, and what has happened is that matter (not : mass) has been converted to radiation.

I didn't define mass here as "center of momentum frame" energy. I defined it as "local proper frame" energy. Once the nuke has blown up most people think of it as one object any more. Instead you have many diffuse particles and so it's senseless to think of it as an individual massive object anymore. Thinking of the final state as many particles instead of one object, then the equation should be SEfinal = Einitial = minitialc2

Not: SEfinal = Smfinalc2

I could probably count on one hands fingers how many physicists think of the final state as a single object. That doesn't mean you can't do the physics under your paradigm. It just means that most don't do it that way.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins