Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Shape Of The Universe

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Jimmy Of York on October 24, 1999 00:16:38 UTC

Ok, well I have never posted to this forum, or read anything on it so you may have already talked about this, but I have been thinking, and I have a theory on the shape of the universe.

I need to explain some things first. I don't think the universe is truely infinate in size, I believe it is actually just really big and eventually loops back in on itself, like a circle, you travel in any one direction in a strait line on the circle and you will end up exactly where you started. And like a sphere, you go in any one direction on the sphere and you will end up exactly where you started. I think the universe is like a circle and a sphere, but it can't be either one and here is why. On a circle you can only travel in two directions on the edge of the circle, lets say they are left and right (only 1 dimension). And on a sphere you can only travel in 4 directions, sorta, left, right, down, and up (2 dimensions). BUT, in space you can travel left, right, up, down, forward, and backwards (3 dimensions). Since on a two dimensional circle you can travel in 1 dimension, and in a 3 dimensional sphere you can only travel in 2 dimensions, SO, it only makes sense that since in space you can travel in 3 dimensions, it must be (if my universe loops back on it's self theory is true) a 4 dimensional shape which is somewhat like a sphere. I also believe that this 4 dimensional sphere is constantly growing, causing the surface area and everything on it to grow farther and farther apart from other things, this acounts for scientists believing the usiverse is expanding.

This probably sounds really stupid, and it probably is, but please respond with something...

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins