Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: What Happens To Energy When It Hits A Black Hole?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by adam on October 19, 1999 00:47:11 UTC

: I'm not going to pretend I know anything about black holes, because, I pretty much don't. What I do know is that astronomers notice where a black hole canidate is by the ammount of energy that dissapears from the area around the canidate point, now this energy just dissapears? Where does it go? What happens to it? 10% of all the matter that hits a black hole is transfered into thermal energy, where does that go if nothing escapes a black hole? Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only changed from one form to another. The other 90% I think could remain as potential energy, or kinetic, then when it gets to the accreation disc, just revolve around there, but what about light/radio waves, and that 10% thermal energy?

Follow Ups:

    Login to Post
    Additional Information
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2021 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins