Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Truman Show........

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by CL/">CL on September 18, 1999 05:40:54 UTC

If our life on Earth were a fictional set, where which an intelligent race of extraterrestrials watched us live out a life in a "created reality".....How then would you define reality? Obviously our whole set of laws and theories could be thrown out the window. Physics would be devastated, and no longer have any credibility nor meaning were we to find this out. We may find our laws of physics to be unbreakable due to the fact that commen sense and mathematical proof says they can't. But what if mathemitatics and commen sense were given to us along with the creation of this fictional world in accordance with these fictional laws of phyiscs. They all work hand-in hand assuring that no experiment can ever be performed that would reveal the truth. How then can you define reality? Would it be safe to say that our fictional world is reality? I would guess so since you could never, ever, prove otherwise. Would it be fair to say that the "truth" is reality considerinrg it has no relevance to our physical and mental existance? I would be born, grow up, and die in this fictional world. Not only that, but say that I was NEVER to learn the truth. Then I guess since I'd never know this truth and all of my laws of science would tell me that this fiction is reality then I think it fair to say that.....THAT WAS REALITY. So.........is this universe god's Truman Show, and we'll never find out? What now, is reality? Could we go on forming theories and equations about an absolute lie, only to be gaining knowledge in a false reality? Could we call this "knoledge", or would it be complete ignorance? Which of the two are the reality, especialy when the "actual reality" has no or never will have no relevance to me or anybody else. Is anything real? Can we say that the universe is all in your head since you can simply slow the life or speed up the life of the universe simply by a change in YOUR motion. Is time all in your head?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins