Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
String Theory....

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by CL/">CL on September 18, 1999 04:54:35 UTC

If matter is composed of these sub-planck distance scale strings in string theory my question is this......A photon is the messenger particle for the electromagnetic force. It is a string with a vibrational pattern that gives it it's unique identity of zero mass, and spin one. ( I believe it's one if I remember correctly but it's been a while so my memory mat be off a little ). Anyways that's beside the point.....what concerns me is the vibrational pattern itself. How can a photon have a vibration when all processes occuring at the speed of light literaly stop. How can it vibrate when according to the principle of time dialation it should be frozen in time? A photon, then, shouldn't even exist because it has no vibration in our frame of reference. Ok......maybe it can exist but we shouldn't be able to observe it because it wouldn't have any characteristics with no vibration, so why would it be the "unique" photon? This one gets me.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins