Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: You Can't Do That

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by CL/">CL on September 17, 1999 21:37:11 UTC

: RD: This sounds like the ultimate ego. You are saying that I do not exist if I am not in your consciousness.

I think that the most important frame of reference in the universe is my own. There is no other reference point to which I can refer to as motionless. Everything with motion in this universe happens relative to me. I'm that special reference frame that relativity says doesn't exist, to which you can call "absolute motionless". I'm not moving, everything else around me is moving while I stand still. When you want to compare velocities of objects, I'm the still frame that you say......It's moving at such & such speed toward or away from. Einstein said that everything is relative to something else, but I say all motion is relative to me.

Does this sound like a big ego?????

Very much so........but.......you have every right to say the same thing about yourself!!! Anytime you say something is moving, then all those principles of relativity apply. But who wittnesses them? The person who observes it. Would it make sense for me to say that something was moving nearly at the speed of light if I was trailing behind it at almost the same speed? No, because then it would appear to be moving at, say, a couple of miles per hour. It may be at the speed of light to you but who's reference frame matters when it comes to observing the effects of relativity? Always your own! So I'd say that this object is moving at a couple miles an hour while YOU'RE flying off in the other direction at near the speed of light. I'm sure this is all obvious and you already know, but I need it for my point. The point is, is that if you don't exist to me.........you don't exist in my reality therefore you're not real. If you're not real to me then you don't exist. But on the same token, I wouldn't exist to you......so, just like the twin paradox, we'd both be right. (of course the twin paradox would break down if you brought them back together because one would have to be older...... I know, I know, it's the one who feels the acceleration that will have the dialation and be younger) The point is, everything is relative to yourself so that's what I meant by falling into the black hole and the rest of the universe not existing.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins