Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Why You Could Never Fall Into A Black Hole......

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by CL/">CL on September 15, 1999 22:35:35 UTC

It doesn't make since for something to ever reach the speed of light if it has mass. It would take an infinite amount of energy to do so. The equivilant to flying at the speed of light would be to cross an event horizon because at this boundary in space, time stops and lorentz contractions are infinite. (just like the speed of light). Think for a second what this means........At the event horizon there is no longer an outside universe because it has been contracted so much that it is now infinitely thin. The universe has in effect become the blackhole's event horizon, and time would stop because there is no more time. The entire universe would collapse in on you as it played out its entire life in a split moment. It is now and always, non existant. Let's look at the other implications.....The red shift of an escaping photon is infinite at the event horizon, meaning it has no more energy. It is no longer a photon I guess you could say because nothing is there but the rest energy of a photon....which is zero by the way. This is the true reason why light can't escape. The wavelength is infinite while the frequncy is zero. Now lets switch it around.....to the recieving end. The black hole gains a photon. This photon would be infinitely blue shifted. It would have a wavelength of zero and a frequency of infinite. Does this make since? So at the event horizon you would be instanly vaporized (actualy you would have been vaporized long before you reached it because the blue shift would have been so collosal that it would have vaporized you....as it mounted to infinite). So all matter would be vaporized before it reached the horizon and the universe it existed in would become infinitessimal in size. How would you ever reach the horizon now?.....technicaly you're coming from a universe that never existed, Not unlike the pre-big bang "universe". There's more though.........what about your feet? If a body that aproaches the horizon never actualy crosses it according to an outside observer then wouldn't you witnessing your feet cross the horizon boundary be a paradox? You would now be outside while your feet are inside so you should percieve your feet as forever frozen at the horizon. How could I say that I fell in when the rest of my body remained frozen at the horizon according to my eyes? All these paradoxes arise at the event horizon itself, not inside the black hole. If you ask me......the horizon of a black hole is a singularity. Anything tucked underneath would be nonexistant. So here we are at my conclusion......as you approach a black hole the universe shrinks to nothing, time stops and you are vaporized completely. Your remnants or "packets of what's left over" photons perhaps, simply fall endlessly, ever slower and slower, never quite reaching that horizon; until finaly quantum jitters take over and you are recycled back out into the universe as Hawking radiation due to entropy laws.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins