Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Shape Of Black Hole

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Steve/">Steve on January 23, 1998 01:21:11 UTC

: : What properties account for the shape of a black hole? : : Why is a black hole funnel-shaped? Shouldn't it be more 3-D? Why isn't the event horizon a sphere, pulling in objects from all directions???? : A black hole is not as you say funnel shaped it is in fact a sphere, the illustration of the funnel mereley represents the forcce of the black holes gravitational pull. You know about Einsteinian gravity right, mass creates a warpage of space time. think of a bowling ball on a huge latex sheet, the latex sheet is spacetime, and the bowling ball is a black hole the bowling ball warps the sheet creating a funnel like dent in the latex sheet, this is why blackholes are usualyy illustrated this way.

: PS: Please anyone feel free to post a message if there is a fault in my explanation.

I see no fault in your explination, a black hole is infact spherical, where the escape velocity of the object exceeds the speed of light. (escape velocity= sq. root of the mass of an object divided by the sq. root of the radius of an object.) under my calculations for an object with as much mass as the earth to become a black hole, it must be about the size of a grape.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins