Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Death Of A Blackhole

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by David Tate/">David Tate on January 18, 1998 15:30:25 UTC

: : : In my studies in Blackholes I have discovered that Blackholes do not die! Weird. If it begins as a collapsing star and ends up as a hole in the realms of time and space, What do they just sit there forever!

: : : I was hopeing that someone could let me know their theory. I need this info by November 30.

: : :I think that Hawking believes that blackhole "evaporate" over time what this means I do not know, but it is somehow a factor of their mass, something like 70 billion years anyway they virtually last fareever considering the universe is only 15 billion years old. I don't have any info on the theory but I hope I was of some help!

: : ASTRAL PYTHON : : (THINK MONTY)

: : : Here's my idea at the singularity of the black hole things just get smaller and smaller from the incredable amout of gravity acting, I don't really know everthing about gravity I don't know if as the blackhole continues on sucking objects in the singularity gets bigger as well probably creating the super blackholes found in the center of : galaxies or if the sigularity stays the same and everything does go infanite smallness, but I can't see a blackhole just evaperating

Well, to try to understand this you need to understand a few basic things first. There is something called an event horison. This is the distance from teh center of teh black hole that the gravitational forces are so strong that the escape volocity needed to escape the gravitational pull, exceeds the speed of light, and as nothing (appart from some very strange particles which I will talk abouot in a sec.) can exceed the speed of light everything stays inside below this distance.

Rockets on earth need to reach a certain speed to escape earths pull and the bigger the body of matter the greater the speed you need to gain to escape.

If we launched our rockets from a high altitude ballon the gravity would be less and the escape volocity would not be as great. Thus as you get closer to the earth, you need more speed to escape its pull.

in the same way, as you approach a black hole, the speed you will need to stop your self heading towards it and escape its pull gets greater. The event horison is the point at which you need the speed of light to escape.

Now, quantum mechanics has something called the uncertainty principal, which to cut a long story short (and I am not an expert on this) sais that a particle on or near this event horison can go away from the center of the black hole, thus it must go faster than the speed of light.

However, Stephen Hawkings himself sais that only the smallest of black holes, that were created near the beginning of the universe would ever be able to radiate away enough matter to explode. For all other black holes, it seems that the matter that are in them or fall into them are stuck ther forever, unless something strange happens to them in there. something to do with time and space...

hope this helps

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins