Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Time, Photons And Interactions.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Galnew Einhaw on July 14, 1999 01:51:01 UTC

: : photons have zero mass at rest

: ::(daViper) : Hmmm. That forces me to ask two questions myself.

: If you are implying that photons do not have zero mass when in motion, where does the mass come from as a result of this motion?

: If the universe is expanding, can anything, including a photon, ever be said to be "at rest"?

Actually, what I was wondering about doesn't really have anything to do with the mass of a photon. Because when an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down for it (relatively), and when 'c' is reached, time would stop, mass becomes infinite etc. So, since light travels at 'c' does this mean time has stopped for it? It is said that ligth has zero rest mass, how can it have mass when it is moving. The mass of a moving photon is probably just it's energy equivalent(e=mc2). Is there anyone out there who can answer or clarify this? Where's that nate person, he/she seems to know alot about this stuff.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins