Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Black Holes And Cosmology

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by yanniru/">yanniru on June 9, 1999 13:17:12 UTC

Nate

If Einstein could not be convinced from his own equations, how can I ever expect to convince you? It's really a matter of faith. This is an instance where faith in the solutions of a scientific theory is required. Furthermore, the solutons are about something we can never see or experience. That makes a Black-hole even more remote than god. I've always been of the opinion that science is not so different from religion in the sense that faith in the unknown or personally unknowable is required. And science as a religion has most of the trappings of religion: dogma, high priests that can operate in the religion whereas we layman cannot, the most exotic creation myths, revelation in journals and magazines designed to translate the secret language of science into layman's terms, and finally the ability of the high priests to see in the dark, to fly, to travel underwater anf to deliver disaster whereever they choose. It's saving grace and its power comes from its ability to create repeatable miracles. But it often fails such as when curing disease or saving lives. Even so science with its doctor and phd guru's controls our lives as no other religion ever has. I'm surprized it hasn't tried for tax-exempt status. Its universities(ie. read seminaries) have.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins