Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Questioning Light

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by CHUCK F on May 28, 1999 17:16:49 UTC

: : Does light have mass??? Of corse not? However I was thinking about the hizen-burg (I'm not a good speller) : : wave-particle relation. : : For example an apple has mass and wave properties. We see the particle side more than the wave side but it is there. An electron has mass and paritle nature. We see mostly the wave side. : : My point is that a photon behaves like a particle and a wave. Maybe a photon has mass but so little we can't detect it.....Maybe not. : : Does any one know of the sure test that proved without a shadow of a dought that a photon has no mass. : : Or does it relate to the zero rest mass and apparnt : : mass with its velocity....

: Chuck: : My view is that particles are collapsed wave functions and fields are uncollapsed quantum wave functions. So light is generally in the state of being electromagnetic waves or the electromagnetic field in its free form. What we see or detect is the collapsed version of light called photons. Light or photons or electromagnetic fields are forces or bosons and are normally massless. But some kinds of force have mass. However, whether the force or matter has mass or not, they both have a wave-like nature and a particle nature. The wavelike nature is invisible to us. We can infer its existence by observing interference effects of waves, both light waves and matter waves. Nonetheless, our direct experience is only with collapsed waves or particles, as any form of detection necessarily collapses the waves.

Yanniru: Uhhh..What??? I understand what you are talking about the wave and particle part however you lost me in your first sentance. Wave functions? Uncollapsed quantum wave functions? Is there a web page I could get myself educated on these areas that you know of? Physics is only my hobbie so when it comes to complex formulas, I'm lost. I like to read more about the theory, and a little complex math.. (real or not)

Chuck F

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins