Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: A Couple Infinites

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by nåte on March 14, 1999 03:38:45 UTC

: ***There are a couple areas that qualify as truely infinite, Existance of material in the universe and the movement of such, matter will always exist, it may be so diluted into the vast infinite nothingness of space to the point where we it could not be detected, but it will always be. The nothingness of space, (or even outside of space for those who say space is something) is infinite, I think.

I understand where you are coming from in your frame of thought, but I disagree with you.

I would suggest that you read some info concerning the first and second laws of thermodynamics.

One area that I disagree is your statement concerning, "...or even outside of space for those who say space is something) is infinite..."

I think it is of pinnacle value that you understand (as well as it can be understood) the definition of nothingness; or outside of spacetime continuum.

I will be brief in defining absolute nothingness.

If the ideology of nothingness can in anyway be coined to that of infinitism, it has just contradicted what nothingness is; therefore it was never nothingness in the first place. Absolute nothing is absent from any description that could describe 'its' existence, because it is not in a state of existence. Therefore, how can one state that nothingness is infinite? If this were true, one would be forced to ask what this nothingness is infinite of! Is nothingness infinite of nothing? This sounds as ludicrous as suggesting that time is infinite and the universe is in static existence. This would be synonymous as trying to jump out of a bottomless pit.

If I could make one scientific point out of my philosophical conjecture, it would be this... : )

If the universe has been in existence for an infinity, then I would have to say that we would have reached our current state of entropy an eternity ago...

-nåte

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins