Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Paradoxes

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by nåte/">nåte on December 17, 1998 01:26:49 UTC

: Look out the window and describe something that : displays characteristics of both a particle and : a wave. When you are done with that tell me how : anything can get past the eventhorizon of a black : hole in our finite time.

I've pondered the same question obout the 'EH' paradox and have come to this conclusion, or rather, comprimise...

I believe that a 'blackhole' is never truelly a BH in the sense that we idealize them to be. However, the idea that matter gets infinitely close to the EH due to time dilation effects would suggest that matter is in fact attracted towards its center even though it does not cross the barrier in our finite time.

Like I stated before, its somewhat of a compromise, but just remember that for all practical purposes matter that becomes infinitely 'frozen' in S/T at the EH has ideally "disappeared" from our perspective. Now I use the word 'disappeared' rather loosely, but it is the only way to solve this dilema without encompassing a paradox.

Also, as I've stated before, remember that matter approaching the EH reaches speeds infinitely close to the speed of light, so its relativistic mass increases, thus length contraction, time dilation, infinite dopplar shift, and finally it gives no more light because of time dilation effects having to do with conservation of energy. :)

So in affect, what has it done? In my opinion it comes awfully close to what we define as a BH!

A barrier where beyond it, S/T do not exist, so how could it be possible to ever observe something effectively pass its border?

make sense? maybe someone else can elaborate better...

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins