Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: No Such Thing As A "Graviton"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bucky Argyle/">Bucky Argyle on November 15, 1998 03:17:44 UTC

: : I suggest that there is no such thing as a "Graviton". : Gravity is not propagated by particles, but must rather be a "tidal force" resulting from a curvature of space-time. Hey,hey!A bold statement to be sure.It can not stand on its own.. I believe I agree,the graviton model is un- nessisary and not supported by evedence.This is how I argue the point .. The forces that exibit quantum-mechanical behavior all prophigate through any space time geometry at the speed of light.Gravitation is by our accepted models a deformation of this geometry,not a force prophigating through it. Granted this may seem like a thin argument, but consider tihs, if gravitation prophigated at the speed of light,it could be trapped by a gravitational feild that had an escape velucity greater than that fixed speed (a black hole).Obviously black holes function just fine.If the gravitational "force"had to overcome an evnt horizon,black holes would not be the stable events we observe,if they could even form at all. Now,we may even throw that arguement out,here's another.One fundamental aspect of quantum dynamics is coupling,where is this with gravitation?Because it obviusly iteracts with all particles observed thus far, it would by the model need to couple with all particles. This would nessisarily complicate the quantum-mecanical model. What then?You might ask,should you have tollerated my rant thusfar,do you sugest is really the case? Not only is there no graviton ,but gravitation does not even prophigate!AND.....here we go..GRAVITATION IS NOT EVEN A FORCE!Woah! before you stop reading" hear "me out. I beleive its largely a problem of classification,surely I dont doubt the reality of gravitation,nor do I have reason to disbelieve the basic model of quantum mecanics.Its just that true forces do exibit quantum behavior and gravitation does not.In order to keep q.e.d. intact we must reclassify gravitation as something other than a force.Or at least recognise the distinction between prophigating forces and distortions in the field therough whitch they move. Finnaly we must apeal to evedence produced in accorance with our scientific method..and nothing else. there are those, as you probably know,that seek to observe "the gavitational wave" and have the money to do it should such a thing exist.My hat is off to them, eventhough I totally disagree with the hypothosis. Of course what I expect (in my own biased oppinion) is that LIGO will only further support my model and they will cry ,NOISE!NOISE! We have manny things to learn,the only way we fail is through fraud or neglegence.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins