Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Would However Like To Add To My Further Comment.. :)

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by nåte/">nåte on October 9, 1998 01:45:50 UTC

after thinking about this more (heaven forbid) I've come to this conclusion.

Because of my earlier talk with RFL, I closely analyzed what happens during time dilation.

I think what happens is as the object starts to become closer and closer, time exponentially slows down. and because it slows down the amount of light decreases...

therefore at the same rate as it becomes infinitely close to the event horizon, the time, likewise, approaches infinity.As well, the light emitted from the object becomes infinitely dim (and infinitely red shifted).

But! that doesn't mean it has crossed the event horizon! Just has become infinitely close! So with that reasoning, how is it possible for black holes to "gain" mass relative to our reference frame? Is that just it? That the activity of black holes can be only observed from a reference identical to themselves?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins