Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Energy=0?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul Rest/">Paul Rest on October 8, 1998 01:49:46 UTC

I'm certainly not saying that there is infinite matter in the universe, but if there was the sky would most certainly not be white. Think of this way, you have a star, if it is below a certain brightness in our sky (which is about 7 mag for the most sharp eyed observer from a very dark sky location) it will not be visible to the naked eye. Not only slightly visible, but not visible. Thus you have a black space where that star is when you look there. Now it doesn't matter how many other stars of such brightness you have there, they will still all be invisible. Even if our entire sky was filled with stars, galaxies, nebulas and so forth (which is practically is if you go deep enough) most of them would be beyond our naked eyes and not visible so the sky would still look the same. This makes sense to me, but if anyone else would like to argue otherwise I'll be glad to hear it.

-Paul

: A little below this post there is another one that says : that the total mass and energy potential in the : universe is equal to 0, because of the : matter/antimatter reactions, and therefor, the amount : of matter in the universe must be infinite. You must : have lost me somewhere in there, but allow me to say : why I think you are wrong, feel free to correct me :) : Why does this mean that the amount of matter is : infinite? Couldnt it just mean that there is an equal : finite amount of matter and antimatter in the : universe? Note: I am not saying that this neccesarily : points to a God, although i happen to believe in one, : I might as well not drag religious arguments into this. : Still, isn't it possible that in the "creation" of : the universe, an equal amount of matter and : antimatter formed, not because of coincidence, but : because that had to happen? (I am just speculating : here, i am not too familiar with this, but hey, i : might as well guess)

: In addition to this, if an infinite amount of substance : DID exist, our night sky would be as bright as day. : Allow e to explain: if an infinite amount of matter : existed, then for each star out there, each light : emitting thing,would shine down acertain amount of : light, even if it were infinitely small. SO if an : infinite amoount of stars shined down upon us with : a cumulative infinite amount of light, we would have : a pure white night sky, no?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins