Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Understand Now, Thanks...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul Rest/">Paul Rest on October 3, 1998 04:17:43 UTC

What about Planck time? Of course this is considered, as I've heard it phrased, "the smallest possible definable amount of time." I see your point about if you have anything happen in a certain lenght of time it is possible to cut that length in half (just like, if everything is made of particles, then what ar quarks made out of?). But doesn't time become strange, far far different than what we are used to, at the quantum level? I'm totally sure about this, but I've heard and read that it's sort of like time and space blend together at such levels and become indefineably intertwined. Is this true, anyones thoughts on this would be appreciated.

-Paul

: : Your problem is one that had been troubling science for a long time. If I understand your question correctly, you want to know whether time is continuous or discrete.....Is there a certain level beyond which it is not possible to "break" time into smaller parts. : : The answer is no....Time is continuous on the real line, so that if I take 1 ms interval of time, i will know that there does exist a 1/2 ms interval of time. : : I don't know how much you have worked with Calculus, but if you have a fair backing, you should be able to realise what I am saying easily.

: I see your point, and thank you.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins