Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Black Hole Paradoxial Theories....

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by nåte/">nåte on October 1, 1998 06:18:10 UTC

I'm in a spaceship near a black hole. (far away enough from tidal forces)...

I see my friend get too close to the gravitational effects of this supermassive black hole. He starts to be consumed into the realm of unrelenting gravitational attraction. Then something wierd happens. Its weird because at first he was approaching the event horizon with great "apparent" speed, then as he got closer and closer he "apparently" began to slow down more and more till finally he "apparently" stopped right at the event horizon! (ignore the fact that his image is extremely distorted and for that matter I can't even see him! due to the fact of the light reflecting from his spaceship has dimmed considerably from time dilation)

Here's my point...

I've thought about this some bit and seem to get hung on the problem with black holes "sucking" material into themselves if the time relative to "us" seems to slow down infinitely at the point of an object aproaching the horizon! AIGH!!

someone have any postulates? :)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins