Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Conservation Of Energy In Time Dilation Via Gravity And Velocity...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by nåte/">nåte on October 1, 1998 06:06:18 UTC

Hello everyone. This is my first time visiting this message forum. I have studied quantum physics quite a bit enjoy talking about it. I'm glad I found this place to chat.

One afternoon I was thinking about time dilation due to gravitational forces. The thought came to mind...

A person standing on a distant planet with X solar masses. Another person (in a frame of reference) standing on another planet with considerably less mass. Lets call the person on the large planet, Bill and the small planet, Mike...

Bill is pointing and shinning a flashlight out into space and directing the beam to Mike. The output of the light on Bill's planet is 1000 lumens. The apparent lumineousity (sp) of the light beam to Mike is 100 lumens. (this is an ideal case with no attenuation across distance, after all, its space) My theory is that because time appears to run slower for Bill (Mikes frame of reference), the energy given off by the light has therefore needed to be attenuated due to the law of conservation of energy.

After all, if the light appeared to Mike as 1000 lumens, and 1 sec for Mike was 10 for Bill, then Mike could do away with PG&E! (if he could transduce Bill's light to electrical energy) :)

Is my theory correct?

If it is, its another way to look at how and why a black hole appears black. other than the fact that the escape velocity at the event horizon is greater than the speed of light. It appears to be all related.

-Nåte

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins