Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Wave Functions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by RFL on September 2, 1998 07:58:50 UTC

There is nothing mysterious about a wave function. The position and momentum of your every day harmonic oscillator (weight on a spring) are described by a wave function that is very similar to Schrodingers Wave Equation for subatomic particles. The major difference is that the SWE incorporates imaginary numbers in its formulations and describes not the actual position and momentum of the particle but only the probability amplitude of the position and momentum. In order to get rid of the imaginary component you have to multiply it by its complex conjugate (square it) which gives you the actual probability of finding the particle at certain position. This is a very large subject. I suggest you think about it and ask some specific questions and I will see if I can help.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins