Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Supermassive Black Holes At The Center Of Galaxies

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael Morgan/">Michael Morgan on April 30, 1998 21:50:50 UTC

: : Here's a theory: : : There is something called an accertation disk circling around a black hole in another galaxy. It's basically a bunch of dust circling the black hole that is doomed to eventually be sucked into it. It is in a flat, disklike shape. : : Well, what if the galaxy is really a huge accertation disk around a supermassive black hole at the center of our universe? If so, we are slowly coming closer and closer... : : I hope to explore this theory more with a graphic novel or comic book series I hope to have published sometime soon.

: I don't think that a black whole so far away would afect us. A black hole is not like a vacuum you know. A black hole only effects objects that are beyond the event horizen : so even if our sun were to become a black hole, the earth would not be affected.

First off do to the size of the sun it will not become a black hole it is much to small approximitly 10^36 kilograms. The only thing that will happen to the sun is that in about 5 billion years it will turn into whats called a red-giant during which it will engulf the planets Mercury & Veneus and also make Earth quite uncomfortable(boiling seas,escaping atmosphere, that sort of thing). Then turn into a weak white dwarf star. But lets just say that the sun did end its life as a black hole. The planets would only get darker and colder, they would not get sucked into the black hole. Because of the event horizon (as you mentioned previously) unless Earth passes through the horizon then it would simply orbit the black hole as it would any other object with the same mass. If it passes the horizon (which because of its size would only extend about three kilometers from the singularity) then spacetime as we would know it would be distorted and we along with Earth would be ripped apart and then burnt up by the x-rays and gamma rays being blue shifted as they also enter the hole at the same time. You might be interested in knowing that some scientists do beleive that there is a black hole in the center of our galaxy, because in order to create an elliptical orbit that the planets follow you would have to have to foci in the center. With one (i.e. the sun) it would produce a circular orbit.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins