Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Kerr May Just Be A Non-symmetric Solution

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Clerk on June 4, 2004 16:32:34 UTC

using a symmetric theory. I presume that a spinning star is non-symmetric.

Let's consider a different case of non-symmetry, a spiral galaxy. From what I read you can use GR or Newton's theory to solve for the dynamics of the stars in a spiral galaxy. The fact the the galaxy is not spherical does not preclude its solution whether or not the basic theory works only for spherical symmetry.

In the case of the spiral galaxy, a comparison of the resulting solution to observed star dynamics has forced physicists to infer the existence of dark matter.

Now when you use the same theory on sperically symmetric galaxies and compare the theoretical star dynamics with what is observed, in turns out that dark matter in not needed.

So why is there dark matter in spiral galaxies but not spherical galaxies???

Cahill's answer is that both Newton's and Einstein's theory does not contain non-symmatric terms. According to him and others ,if you put in the terms, the star dynamics in spiral galaxies can be predicted without inferring dark matter.

Now it may turn out that the non-symmetric terms in the basic equation is negligible for spinning stars, and the Kerr solution is correct.

But my suggestion to you, since you underestand theory and I do not, that you actually read the works of Cahill and Moffat before pontificating. It's obvious to me that you have not read them.

J

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins