Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Escaping Pull Of The Black Hole.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Jon Benjamin on February 17, 1998 13:14:55 UTC

: : : : : : : : : : : Why do I keep hearing that there is no speed faster than light. How is anyone positive about that. If there is such a speed that is faster, isn't it possible to pass through the horizon of the hole, and come back out without being ripped into pieces? Also, I heard that once you pass through the horizon (supposing that a person did somehow), that death would be inescapable because of singularity, and something about how a person couldn't escape their own future. How can a person's future lie within the black hole, and if it is, could it be the key to time-travel, or maybe a fountaion of youth? just curious.

: : : : for years everybody thought speed of sound was impossible to exceed but chuck yeager changed that ! ....eventually speed of light will be exceeded also....probably already being done by extraterrestrials

: : : Fellows, there are some major differences between sound and light. Sound is a mechanical waves that travels through a medium. Light is an electromagnetic wave that travels through no particular medium except the spacetime continuum. As soild creatures, we can mechanically change our speed without causing unusual changes in ourselves or our environment. We cannoit do this at the speed of light, because we are not electromagnetic in our present form. Become pure energy, and you too can travel at the speed of light. Stay soild and human, and you're sunk.

: : I have to disagree. I do not believe that light is energy, as has been stated by many of you(if only pure energy can travel at the speed of light, then light must be energy). I believe that light is matter simply because it is effected by a black hole. Light must have some mass, or it would not be effected by any gravitational field, no matter how great. A gravitational field is in fact created by two or more bodies of mass interacting. Therefore, if light has mass, then light is matter, and matter can travel at the speed of light (or perhaps even beyond)

: Before I start, I`m quoting Bruce Jensen from the "Can you bend Light" postings...

: "While photons don`t have mass, that is not to say that they aren`t affected by gravity" : Now, substitute "Light" for "photons". Light does not have mass amd light has no matter, and although some energy based lifeform may have gone beyond the speed of light, it is most unlikely that man (or woman (I`m not sexist!)) will ever go beyond (or even reach) the speed of light. : Hypothetical theories about passing through a black hole are interesting yet futile. It is currently impossible to prove or disprove any of these theories. But untill one is proven, we can all have some fun...

: It is thought that if the speed of light is reached by a person than that person would have time stoped. Because light is the fastest speed obtanable ones cells would not beable to move. So if a black hole pulls matter into itself at the speed of light than someone entering a black hole would be brought to the speed of light, and in theory time would stop. So how could they die?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins